Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chili Verde

I love chili verde, but have never made it. I usually just order it when I go out for Mexican food, but being that Utah is slim pickins' when it comes to ethnic dining, I am always looking for ways to make my favorite dishes at home. And, thanks to pinterest and my friend Marilyn, whose lovely garden supplied me with some anaheim peppers, a yummy chili verde meal was had by all. Here is what it looked like while cooking:


Most recipes don't use the crock pot, but since I got a crock pot for Christmas last year, I decided to alter the recipe just a bit. Besides, there is something divine about setting the crockpot, letting it cook while I'm gone, and then coming home and not having to prepare anything. In addition to altering the cooking method, I also altered the recipe a little bit and I think it tasted delightful! So, here is the recipe I used:

2lbs Pork (Chopped into chucks)
Chicken Broth (I used a whole carton which is 32oz I think)
2 Sml Cans of Chilies (diced)
1 Anaheim Pepper
1-2 Jalapenos (depending on how hot you want it)
1/2 Onion
4-5 Garlic Cloves (Or, I cheated and just used a couple spoonfuls of diced garlic)
1 Tsp of Olive Oil
1-2 Tblsp of Cumin
1-2 Tblsp Garlic Salt
1 Tsp of Salt
Black Pepper to taste

Throw all this in the crockpot and let cook on high for about 6-8 hrs. You may need to thicken it up with some cornstarch mixed with water. We transferred it to a large pot and let some of the liquid boil off and then added the cornstarch mix. Once it is thick to your liking, eat up and enjoy with some cheese, salsa, sour cream, tortillas, and/or chips. Delicious! 

1 comment:

Kaylinn said...

I'm totally makin this this week!!